Wednesday, 6 July 2011

quilt in progress

Well as promised here are a couple of pictures of the mini baby quilt I am in the process of making.

Monday, 4 July 2011

new challange

well it has been far too long since I last was here. So much has been planned and at times so little achieved.

I am now at a new stage in my life - I have a baby on the way and my creative streak has turned to creating all things baby inspired! After searching for baby products and not really finding what I was really after I have decided to make my own baby cot quilt and a quilt for the pram in a similar design but with colours that will go with my lovely pram - purchased by the in laws.

This pregnancy has not been easy and for far too long now I have been unable to do very much therefore limiting what I can do on a daily basis. But I have managed to finally make a start on my pram quilt. I love the nursery rhyme theme which is what I have gone with and picked colours to try and match in with an already purchased nursery set. I will post some pics very soon to show my progress and am hoping to keep this blog a little more up to date that of late.

Monday, 10 May 2010

My degree is finally over

Well today was the deadline for my Final Major Project. I managed to get 10 finals handed in as well as all the stuff we had to hand in to go with it, my portfolio was a lot heavier than I anticipated. It was a very strange morning at uni, i don't think many of us really knew what to do with ourselves.

I am relieved it is all over although really can't believe how quickly this year has gone by and I am left wondering what I am going to do with myself!

here are a few pics of my final pieces.

Saturday, 27 March 2010

sneek peek

Here is a sneak peek of what I have been up to over the past few weeks, with a few images of my design development as well as one or two printed samples, although none of them are finished just yet as I will be using my embroidery skills on most of my samples to give it that eye catching zing.

The image on the left is my development and the image on the right has been printed but will be embroidered into making the image pop out at you.

Friday, 26 March 2010

printing progress

I was so happy when my fabric from Whaleys turned up on Tuesday. Sadly I was at work and had to wait until Wednesday morning to pick it up from the Royal Mail sorting office. I had a hurrenously busy day on Wednesday such that I did not get a chance to dye the fabric that night, but did manage to, very early on Thursday morning!

With dyed fabric in hand I went into uni on Thursday to start on my printing, of course after I mixed up my dyes to print with. As always things never seem to go to plan but with a little bit of tweeking here and there I have finally managed to get 1 sample printed and it is waiting for me to work my magic on it over the weekend with my embroidery skills.

Oh note to oneself - must be more careful when using screen with metal framing as it can turn out to be a lethal weapon!!!

Saturday, 20 March 2010

the end is in sight

It has been far too long since I posted anything. Since my last post I have been working hard on my development stage, there have been days where I have been chasing my tail but I do now feel it is all coming together. I feel I have a good range of sample designs and also have sorted out the koda traces for 6 of my 8 designs as well as 2 co-ordinates. I have another co-ordinate in my mind but it's not out onto paper as yet.

I have been dreading going into the dye lab as I never seem to get the colours I am aiming for and usually feel my time is wasted in there. Well yesterday I decided enough was enough and I had to brace my fears, get in there and get some colours mixed, otherwise I would have everything ready to print but no fabrics dyed! I took my colour palette in, like a good little student, and low and behold after only a one or two attempts I actually have the colours I was aiming for!

After dying an assortment of fabrics (cotton lorn, cotton sateen and Worsted twill) I have decided I much prefer the Worsted twill to work with. Typically I only have enough of this fabric for 3 potential designs so last night I logged onto Whaleys and ordered 6 metres of it. Hopefully it will get here VERY soon so I can get it all dyed and start printing.

I will get a few pics up here tomorrow to show you my progress. They will only be my black and white design layouts but at least you will get the idea of where I am going. Oh just in case you don't know I am aiming my collection at women's fashion wear.